Unicorn Headbands: A Simple DIY for the Non-Crafty Mom

This year my daughter decided that she wanted a unicorn themed birthday party. I thought, that can’t be too hard right. A lot of pink, purple, and hot glue burned fingers later, I had the perfect party. I decided to go all out this year. We had unicorn cupcakes, a tablescape, and even some DIY unicorn headbands. The unicorn headbands were surprisingly more simple than I had expected. I am not a craft Pinterest mom, so I am quite proud that they turned out at all. Thankfully they were a huge hit with all of the kids, and they can be a hit at your kid’s next party too!

DIY Unicorn Headbands

DIY Unicorn Headbands

Creating

I started out collecting all of my supplies. After a trip to the craft store and one Amazon order I had everything I needed. If you want to recreate these unicorn headbands, you will need : headbands (I got these sparkly ones from Amazon*), some felt, fake flowers, some thicker string or yarn, pillow stuffing, a hot glue gun, and scissors.

Unicorn Headbands: supplies

The first thing I did was make my horn. I cut a large triangle out of the middle of the felt. Then, I hot glued it together to make a horn. You can sew it if you prefer, but I am not very handy with a needle and thread.

unicorn headbands: the horn

Once I had it shaped, I stuffed the horn full with pillow stuffing. This ensures it will hold its shape when you glue it to the headband later.

unicorn headband: horn stuffing

Now that the horns are stuffed, it is time to wrap them. I took some of my gold string that I bought and cut off a generous sized piece. I used a little more hot glue and secured some to the top and then wrapped it around until I reached the bottom. Then I secured the bottom piece with a little more glue. This step really makes it stand out as a unicorn horn, and not just a random triangle.

unicorn headbands: finished horn

Now we have a horn! What I did next was cut out a circle, the size of the bottom of the horn. This makes it easier to secure the horn to the headband. I glued the circle of felt under the headband, and then connected the horn over the headband.

unocorn headbands: almost there

Decorating

Now comes the fun part, the decorating. You can get as creative as you want with this part. I made a few of them all different. For this one, I used these flowers that had clips already on them and just clipped them onto the sides of the unicorn headband.

unicorn headbands

I did a few more with fake flowers that I hot glued around the headband, and they turned out great as well.

unicorn headbands

These ended up being a huge hit at the party! All of the kids loved wearing them. Even the boys got in on the action.

DIY Unicorn headbands

So if you have a little one that is as obsessed with unicorns as mine is, this is an awesome and simple craft that will make their day.

Simple DIY Unicorn Headbands

This is a seriously cute idea. I should totally make these for my nieces the next time they come over my house πŸ™‚

2. Kathy Richter says:

These are so cute, I am going to try to make them for my Niece! My only question is how did you glue the horn securely to the headband so it would not slip on the headband? Were the circles on the bottom tricky to glue to the headband? Thank you!

It was a little tricky but not bad. I just put glue on the headband, top and bottom and just made sure all the felt was secured. You just have to play around with it a little but it was pretty easy

3. Kristen says:

These are adorable and your instructions make it look very easy! I have three boys so no no chance of doing unicorns – but I am wondering if I can adapt the idea for wizards…. thanks for the post!

4. Helen Vella says:

I have loved Unicorns all my life and have a few statues and photos in my house. My granddaughter is now into them in a big way, I think we may make one of these bands together.

5. GiGi Eats says:

Sure these might be for kids… But um, I am still a kid at heart? I WANT ONE!!!! HAHA! I need to get to crafting one this weekend, and then I will wear it everywhere – however……. No one in Hollywood would think I were “weird” for doing something like this cause, well, um… People out here are always making “statements” – lol!

haha that’s great!! I wore one the whole party! I wouldn’t care what anyone thought, you have to have fun in life!

6. maria says:

What a super cute idea! I love this! Looks very simple to make. i would definitely be making this with my daughter and my niece they are girlie girls!

7. Mistle says:

How adorable!!! The unicorn theme for birthday parties is big this year! I’ve seen so many cute things for the parties! These handbands included!!

8. theresasreviews says:

I like this idea, and I especially appreciate that you wrote it for non-crafty moms! Some moms are so impressive with their ability to make such creative DIY projects, and I’m such a beginner.

No doubt that unicorns are very much in these days especially with the kids! I think these are very adorable!

10. Carol Cassara says:

How cute are these headbands! I don’t know what it is with unicorns and ponies but the kids seem to love them very much. I think this is perfect for a unicorn themed party!

11. ellie says:

this is amazing! I love that navy glittery one! My Mum and I used to do crafts like this all the time when I was a child. She made me a tiara out of a plastic soda bottle once!

Ellie

12. UB Rey says:

I fell inlove with these right away when I saw them. You are so creative! Love how it is very doable as well. Will try to make one for my niece πŸ™‚

Thank you πŸ™‚ I have done so many crafty projects that were total “Pinterest fails”. So I was really happy with how these turned out, even if the hot glue did melt my fingerprints off lol

13. Leslie Hernandez says:

Wow these are pretty cute and very creative. These would also be amazing for a cute birthday theme. I would love to make these as a craft project with my nieces πŸ™‚

Thanks for sharing this very cute DIY πŸ™‚

Leslie xoxo

14. Shann Eva says:

Oh my goodness! These are so cute!! I love that you don’t have to sew them because I can’t sew. Perfect birthday theme for a little girl. Hope your daughter had a lot of fun!