Age Appropriate Chores For Kids

As a child, I remember having to do chores, and now my daughter has her own to do. While it might not be the most fun part about being a parent, it is necessary. Age appropriate chores teach kids responsibility and the value of hard work. There is something a child can do at every age almost, and while they might not always be done perfectly, they will get done and your child will learn and improve.

Age Appropriate Chores for Kids of All Ages

*This post may contain some affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I will receive a commission at no extra cost to you*

Age Appropriate Chores

I think chores are amazing for children. They teach them hard work and responsibility, and it helps me out around the house as well. For chores to be effective though, they need to be age appropriate. I mean, my four year old can’t do the same chores that an eight year old could do. Now, there are a lot of things that she can, and does do to help out. Everything might not be done perfectly, but she is learning.  So I have compiled a few simple age appropriate chores into a list that parents can easily use when deciding what they should have their kids do around the house.

The Chore Chart

Now, before we dive into all of the different chores that your kid can, and should, be doing. I would like to discuss the chore chart. This may not work for everyone, but I have had really great success with it. Personally, I grabbed a chart from Amazon, like this one here. I am not a super crafty mom, so making my own was not really an option. There are so many inexpensive options on Amazon though. They have magnetic ones, dry erase, chalkboard; really the options are endless.

I also grabbed some stickers from the Dollar Tree as rewards. Once my daughter completes a task, she gets a sticker on her chart. When the chart is completely filled up, she gets a special reward. This is usually picking out a toy at the Dollar Tree or going out for ice cream. While the rewards are nothing extravagant, they help teach her than when you work hard you are able to earn nice things. I feel like it is a lesson that will stick with kids through adulthood.

Chores By Age

These are obviously just my suggestions. They are not the end all be all of chores for your kids, but it is a good starting point.

2-3

Your toddlers aren’t going to be able to perfect many chores, but they can start learning. This is the perfect age to teach them how to pick up their toys and throw away their trash. I say teach them, because at any age, children are going to need to be shown, most likely numerous times, how to correctly complete a task. Your 2 and three year olds can easily help you water indoor plants as well. They will probably even think this one is fun because they get to help the plants grow! I would say for the toddler age, stick to simple tasks.

4-6

This is the range where my oldest currently falls. She is actually a great little helper and does quite a bit around the house. In this age range, kids are perfectly capable of cleaning up their rooms, feeding pets, putting  dishes in the sink, and helping set the dinner table. Again, they will probably not be done perfectly or up to your standards, especially not the room cleaning. I do promise that they will eventually get it. At first, my daughter would just throw all her toys in a corner, but after me helping and showing her where it all goes, she now will put everything away in its proper place (mostly).

7-9

Within the seven to nine age range is where kids start getting even more responsibilities. I remember this was when my nieces and nephews began having “real” chores and even earning a small allowance.  Some age appropriate chores here would include vacuuming, folding laundry, and putting away groceries.

10-12

Kids aged ten to twelve are truly capable of doing a lot to help our around the house. Now, they might not want to (as is evident from some of my nieces) but allowances seem to be a great motivator. In this age range your kids could do things like laundry from start to finish, taking out the trash, light cleaning such as dusting and windows, and even helping with some of the yard work.

Teens

As teenagers, I feel like kids should be doing a decent amount around the house. They want to go out with friends on the weekend? Do some chores and earn it! Teens can easily cook some meals, wash vehicles, and even babysit younger siblings.

Age appropriate chores

Personally, I think chores are amazing for kids and helps them learn skills that they will need later in life. It is important to keep in mind though, that you need to be patient, as these kids are learning and they will need you to chow them the ropes. Do what works for you and your family, but I hope my suggestions help you out a bit.

So what does work for you? DO you use a reward chart or an allowance, and what age appropriate chores do you have your children do?

1. robin rue says:

I have always put my kids to work. I think it’s important for them to learn the value of helping out around the house.

2. Janel Berchielli (@JanelB) says:

Oh I hated chores I felt like I was the only responsible one even though I was a kid doing all my chores. With my kids I appreciate them helping around the house and then asking to do them certain things but I try not to harp on it so that they don’t feel the way I did when I was growing up .

3. karen says:

Excellent way to make sense of how to teach kids about doing their part – but keeping it realistic. Definitely teens need to do a major part because that age range can be more “unrealistic” in how they give back.

4. Ana De-Jesus says:

I like that you talk about the concept of age appropriate chores and break it into age ranges. I was taught responsibility from a young age and it definitely helped me to be more independent x

5. Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh says:

I will fully admit that I didn’t have chores growing up. I went to school and did homework, and my mom did everything else for me. I look back and think I was selfish. I wished that I would have helped my mom more. I make my own children do chores now! I would never think of keeping the house clean and tidy without their help.

6. Kristina says:

My oldest likes to help out with chores a lot. He is 9. I have a 3 and 5 year old who helps me with little things around the house and cleaning their room.

7. daniella says:

I love that there is finally a post about what is age appropriate for chores and what isn’t! My next door neighbor makes her son mow the grass when the lawnmower is bigger than he is!

It was really important for me to teach my twins about doing chores. I wanted them to learn the skills they needed if they ever decide to move out once they’re grown up. These days I’m just proud that they can do things on their own without hassle.

This is a really good guide for parents who would like to know what chores their kids can do for their age. It’s always nice to start them young. These are life skills as well, to be honest.

This is really great. My kids love doing chores and helping out around the house! I never really started them on chores before 6 though, and think I may start.

11. Blythe Alpern says:

This totally makes me think of the clean-up song, which I have heard from all three of my nieces and nephew so many times. But hey, if it helps them do their chores than I’m all for it.

12. Bailey says:

I love that you’re encouraging parents to start their little ones with chores when they are little! It’s so important for building up the right mindset about work.

13. ejnosillA/RedefiningHERstory says:

This was a wonderful post and i really loved it! i agree that the little ones can pitch in a hand or two to clean up messes especially if they are the ones that made it… i often told my kids… if you are old enough to make the mess… you are old enough to clean up your mess… it’s funny… i am still telling them that and they are grown… lol

14. Lata says:

OMG! My son is 7 months and I can only imagine him doing chores in the future, hahah! 🙂 I know it goes by fast so I gotta get prepared. 🙂

Love this post and I will be pinning it

15. reesa says:

This is so helpful! My kids are 8 & 6 and I feel like I do not have enough things for them to do! We will go through this list and get some new ideas!

16. Dawn McAlexander says:

I had a bunch of chores when I was growing up. I think that it is good for kids to have chores. I do agree too that there are certain chores that are appropriate for certain ages.

17. misty nelson dawn says:

This is so helpful, I have 4 years old son and the one is 2 years old I teach them how to clean up their toys and other chores that fit them.

18. Cassie Tucker says:

I like that you have found some safe chores for young children to do. I feel that if kids learn to do chores at a young age, they will be more likely to do work later in life.

I haven’t done a very good job with chores and my oldest daughter. She was an only child for six years and I see now that my two year old daughter is more excited for chores than her big sister. My two year old loves to help unload the dishwasher!

20. Angela Bethea says:

When I was a kid, my Mama taught me to be independent and not to rely on yaya/babysitter to do something for me. It really helps me to be responsible. This chart is really nice!

21. Jake says:

My son is 8 but I have yet to see him fold 1 pair of socks! This chore chart is great though. Will definitely use it for reference!