Swim Safety: How To Have A Fun And Safe Summer

*This post was sponsored by SwimWays as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.*

Warmer weather is arriving, and that means it is about time to break out the swim suits! For us here in Florida, swimming is almost a year round occurrence. I grew up in the water, and was even a competitive swimmer for many years. Now that I am a mother, swim safety is a top priority. My parents have a pool that we frequent, so it is important that my kids are safe when we are over there. It doesn’t take much, but there are a few swim safety guidelines that parents can follow to help ensure that they have a safe and fun summer in the water.

Swim safety tips to ensure your family has a safe and fun summer.

Swim Safety

As I mentioned, I grew up around water, and my kids are growing up around water. This means I need to take extra precautions and be mindful at all times. Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, so it is best to be aware and prepared, because really anything can happen. These are all things that I do with my kids, and I think would be beneficial to your family as well.

1. Never take your eyes off of kids who are swimming. As I said before, things can go south in a moment, so children need to be supervised appropriately.
  2. Leave the distractions alone. I know we love to take lots of pictures and stay connected on social media, but one of the best swim safety tips I have is to leave the phone alone and be vigilant.
  3. Always enforce the rules. No running, no roughhousing, stay away from drains, and no diving in the shallow end. These are not taken lightly, and failure to follow them does result in my kids getting out of the pool.
  4. The buddy system. When my kids are swimming, we try to have one of the older kids assigned to help watch one of the younger ones. While this doesn’t take the place of adult supervision, it is an extra layer of swim safety.
  5. Learn CPR. This is invaluable and can come in handy in a large number of situations. CPR is a great skill to have just in case you ever have to use it.
  6. Sign your kid up for swim lessons. Search for reputable classes in your area and sign up. This is a great way to help kids learn to swim as well as potential life saving skills.
  7. Use age and skill appropriate safety devices. Water wings and life jackets are necessary for young and new swimmers.

Start Them Young

Here in Florida, we like to start kids in the water pretty young. This will be my son’s first summer, and we have already had him in the pool. I have been using the SwimWays Baby Spring Float Sun Canopy and it has really been great.  The float is wonderful for introducing babies to the water for the first time. It is rated from ages 9-24 months of age, and is the first step in a three step Swim Training from SwimWays. My little man had a blast splashing around with his older sister. The seat was comfortable for him and extremely stable, so no fear of it flipping over! What I really love is that the canopy is UPF 50, which is perfect for helping protect a babies fresh new skin from the harmful sun rays.

Little Man in the SwimWays float, learning swim safety early

Little man had a blast during his first time in the pool. We were even able to put some of his favorite water toys on the large mesh surface of the float to keep him entertained! Once we were done, the float was so easy to dry off and fold up. It even comes with a convenient mesh bag for storage and transportation! The float made our day so much more enjoyable. Even Big sister got in on the action. If you want one of your own, you can get them at Target, either in store or online. SwimWays has a huge range of fun swim safety products for children of all ages!

Swim Safety

National Learn To Swim Day

So earlier I mentioned that learning to swim is an obviously important part of swim safety. This is a skill that all children should learn, and in 2012 SwimWays started National Learn to Swim Day. This takes place on the 3rd Saturday in May every year. It is aimed at educating parents on the importance of proper swim safety. This year, May 20th is National Learn to Swim Day, and SwimWays and myself want to encourage parents to enroll kids in a certified swim training course. You can check out the National Learn to Swim Day website for a ton of resources. There are fun printable pages for the kids, loads of helpful information, resources on where to find classes, and so much more.

7 Swim Safety Tips

With unintentional drowning being the 2nd leading cause of injury and death to children under the age of 14, it is invaluable that you teach proper swim safety.  This is the time for you to teach your child to swim, or enroll him/her in a safety class. Remember all of the swim safety tips I mentioned above, and have a fun and safe summer!

Now I want to know, how do you plan to celebrate National Learn to Swim Day,? What are your go to swim safety tips for a fun and safe summer?

1. robin rue says:

My kids are both self taught. They each jumped in and were able to swim, so that’s good – because I can’t swim 🙂

2. Brittany @ Everyday Thoughts says:

My little ones love the pool but I get pretty anxious when they are in the pool because neither of them can swim. They are both in swim lessons but it’s so important that I’m vigilant when we are near the water. These are great tips thanks so much for sharing.

What scares me is even a strong swimmer can have something happen. I was a competative swimmer, and my cousin was not a good swimmer and when we were young I tried to help her out of the pool, she panicked and grabbed my neck and wouldn’t let go!

3. Kristina says:

My kiddos just started swim lessons. We buy kiddy pools in the summer instead of taking them to a public pool until they know how to swim. They are loving the water though!

4. karen says:

Such an important reminder, especially as the temps warm up. Watching kids while in the pool (or any body of water) is critical. As you said – every second counts.

5. Melissa says:

I learned to swim at day camp and my kids went to the same camp and learned there too. I rarely am at a pool that is not lifeguarded. These are great tips for people swimming in private pools and with little kids.

6. Marcie in Mommyland says:

We just signed our 3yo up for swim lessons. He went when he was a baby, but we took a long break. Thankfully, he’s really enjoying learning to swim and is getting more comfortable in the water. So important, as we travel a lot!

7. Ana De-Jesus says:

I learnt CPR when I was doing a course for kids and later when I did one when I was a community nurse. I agree that it is important to keep kids safe when they are swimming x

It’s really important to make sure that the kids are safe when swimming. This float is perfect for babies and toddlers! I love the space as well, perfect for adding toys that they can play with.

These are great reminders for parents especially for parents who are taking their kids swimming for the first time. It’s really important to know how to keep your children safe while you’re in the water.

10. reesa says:

I started my kids in the water their very first summer. I love to swim, so I wanted them to as well! These are wonderful tips. Children unfortunately, do not understand the dangers of water.

They sure don’t, especially my daughter, she has like no fear. Not long ago she just took off her life jacket and jumped in. I ended up in the pool with all my clothes on to get her… actually she had just about made it to the side of the pool on her own, but it still scared me… once I got her out she just said ” mom, you got your clothes all wet, I was fine” little bugger.

11. Cindy Ingalls says:

It’s so important to practice pool safety and to teach your kids pool safety as young as possible. I remember taking swimming lessons when I was very small. Even though I cried a lot I eventually loved the water.

12. Laura says:

I love that you are getting your kids in the water at a young age, the product from Swimways looks amazing for your son! It’s really important to teach kids the importance of safety and following the rules when swimming at a young age.

Great tips! Especially with the warmer weather approaching and summer is almost here pool safety is extremely important regardless if the child knows how to swim or doesn’t.

14. HilLesha O'Nan says:

I wish I could provide additional advice, but I believe you have it covered. Believe it or not, I took swimming lessons 3x when I was a young girl and still don’t know how to swim!

15. Alison | So Chic Life says:

Great tips! I grew up in MS and FL and learned how to swim by the time I was 5! With my kids I started them early too so they could be comfortable in the water. We go to FL every summer and I need peace of mind they are safe in the water.

16. lydia says:

These tips are so helpful! I’m a nanny and love to take the kids swimming, so I’ll have to keep them in mind!

It’s great! We had one like it for my daughter when she was little, and now little man can hang with big sis in the pool

17. Vera says:

Thank you for the helpful tips. I need to get my kids started out with lessons because I do not know how to swim. I wish I had this float when my youngest was smaller.

18. Sara says:

I grew up around water too and thought I would be a professional swimmer. Now I want to enlist my nephew in swimming lessons too.