10 Things Not To Say To A Pregnant Woman

Having been pregnant twice, I have noticed that for some reason people think they can lose their filter when speaking to a pregnant woman. It is like someone flipped a switch, and people say whatever they are thinking. Some of these comments can be slightly humerus, but most of them are annoying or even flat our rude! I have compiled to top _ things that people should just not say to a pregnant woman. I promise, she doesn’t think it is funny and she doesn’t want to hear it!

10 things you should never say to a pregnant woman

10 Things NOT To Say To A Pregnant Woman

1 You are so tiny, are you sure you are pregnant?

Yes, I am sure I am pregnant. There is no reason for me to lie about it, this isn’t an episode if Snapped. I promise I am eating and feeding my growing baby. Don’t believe me? Just wait a few months and I’m sure you will have something else to say.

2 Wow, you are huge! Are you sure it isn’t twins?

Well thank you for making me feel like even more of a beached whale. Yes, I know my stomach has grown to where it looks like I am smuggling a giant watermelon, but I promise there is only one little human growing in there.

3 You are never going to sleep again.

Well, I am not really sleeping much now thanks to the feet in my ribs and the punches to my bladder, but thank you for informing me of this. I actually had no idea that I would be up late at night, lacking sleep, and surviving on double shot espressos.

4 You are naming him/her what?

Look, my husband and I decided on the name. We love it and that is what matters. Really, your opinion has no bearing on what I will be naming my spawn. Unless I decided to name my child something completely off the wall, please keep your judgmental opinions to yourself.

5 This is baby number (insert more than 1), why are you having a shower?

OK, look here. We believe that every baby is to be celebrated, whether is is number one or number 7. My baby shower isn’t a grab for gifts, it is a time to celebrate my impending arrival.

6 Labor was terrible, your lady bits will never be the same.

Well, I wasn’t expecting sunshine and rainbows. Every woman knows that labor isn’t a walk in the park, but there is no need to talk about your horror stories. If I want to know what labor is really like, I can gladly turn to google!

7 Maybe you will have a C-section, they are so much easier.

My body, my birth, so thank you very much! Secondly, no C-sections are not easier by any means, different but not easier!

8 Oh a VBAC? Isn’t that dangerous?

Honestly, no it isn’t any more dangerous than any other birthing method. It is no more dangerous to VBAC than to repeat a major surgery where they will have to cut into scar tissue. Please, do some research before jumping to conclusions.

9 Does this one have the same father as your oldest?

Wow prying much? No pregnant woman wants to feel judged for their choices. It doesn’t matter if they have the same father or not and unless you are the father it is really none of your business.

10 Are you sure you are ready for a baby?

Well, it is a little late for that now isn’t it? Please, don’t go around telling pregnant women that they shouldn’t be pregnant. No matter their situation, it isn’t something they want to hear. If you aren’t raising it, then your opinion is invalid.

Look,  a pregnant woman is hormonal and sometimes cranky, and they don’t want to hear your negativity. You wouldn’t comment on a woman’s size when she isn’t pregnant, so why do it now? It is out of respect that you please refrain from the aforementioned conversation topics.

The top 10 things that no pregnant woman wants to hear

Now I want to know, what was the strangest or most rude thing that YOU were asked or told when you were pregnant?

OMG C-sections are in no way easier than a vaginal delivery. Not even close! Why in the world would anyone say that?

I have no,clue! But when I was going for my VBAC I kept hearing it over and over… Like I’ve been there and done that, I prefer not so it again lol

2. Liz A says:

I have definitely heard #1 a lot of times when I was pregnant. It didn’t really bother me generally, but it does get annoying at some point. 🙂

3. Jenny says:

I’m 9 months pregnant with my fourth and I love it when people tell me I look small because I feel huge. But I totally get why it would offend others. It’s definitely just best to stick witch Congratulations!

4. Steven Goodwin says:

So true. I try to let the ladies lead the conversation so that I stay out of trouble LOL! I just try to be supportive and kind to them by helping however I can! Thanks for the tips, will keep it in mind!

5. Ana De-Jesus says:

Some people can be so judgmental. It does not matter how many children you have or whether it is the same father, it is none of their business. Your body, your choice x

So, I have not been pregnant and I should write a post about what NOT to say to someone who hasnt been able to have kids. Ugh. Pretty similar situations… and glad that you are reminding others how to be mindful of feelings. 🙂

Yes,do it! I would read it 🙂 I also have a good friend who doesn’t want kids, and the things she hears are unreal as well

7. David Elliott says:

I remember a little bit of what it was like when my ex was pregnant with my daughter. She didn’t look like she had gained a pound. But body shapes of everyone are so different. I can understand you probably shouldn’t mention it no matte the case because of how it comes off.

People can really be insensitive. I hate it when they say inappropriate things and ask inappropriate question especially to someone who has raging hormones. I’m pretty sure these conversations don’t end well unless they’re talking to people who have very very good self control.

I wouldn’t want to hear these when I’m pregnant. It’s can really be insulting. I hope people are more sensitive.

10. Carol Cassara says:

What’s even more annoying is that you’re going to hear these things mostly from family members. I wish that they would lay off the pregnant women, especially since emotions are heightened when you’re pregnant.

11. annalisanuttall says:

To cut a long story short, I was pregnant a few years ago but I ended up miscarriage. A women I worked with came up to me and said ‘your baby is going to be huge!’ I put on a lot of weight due to these steroid I was using. I really could have punched her but I just walked away. xx

12. Jessica says:

I have to admit, one of my good friends was pregnant and I swear I thought she might have been having twins. And I asked her. Nope. I felt like an ass, though.

13. BRittany says:

I fully agree on not talking about how big or small someone is. I tend to BALLOON my last month of pregnancy and I didn’t realize how much it would hurt when people made comments.

I love this. It’s crazy how close minded people are when they talk to pregnant women. I had a c-section and then a VBAC and I can’t even tell you the ignorance I faced.

15. Lyd says:

Number nine made me laugh out loud. The fact that people have asked this is ridiculous! I would definitely not want to get this if I was pregnant, so rude

I’m pretty sure my aunt said I looked like a beached whale with my first pregnancy…that was encouraging! I think that we should all just smile and be happy when a woman is pregnant, and leave it there!

17. Leslie Hernandez says:

OMG lol.. sorry but I had to laugh because as annoying as these questions are when people ask them, you just have to laugh and be like seriously. I don’t have kids yet but I have seen and heard people ask pregnant people I know these questions and I just look at them with disbelief. Most of the time I roll my eyes along with my pregnant friend lol….

I have a long list of things silly people said to me while I was pregnant. Sometimes they just don’t stop and think before speaking. This list is great!

I was never asked that, but a lot of my friends have been. Mainly my friends who aren’t married, even if they are in long relationships

19. Angel says:

All of the above! I had 4 children, and only my first was cesarean. I can’t believe how many people still believe that myth. And no, cesarean is not easier, since it requires more recovery time. You brought back memories!

Right! My first was my c section too. I didn’t want to do that recovery while caring for a newborn and an almost 4 year old

20. Kit Stanwood says:

I can’t even believe people have said this stuff to you!!!!! Oh my word! Specially the father one I think I would flip out and go off. People should know this information for sure , how rude of some people! They must be jealous or unhappy in their lives. I would avoid whoever said those things to you ASAP. Sending my best wishes your way during any pregnancies!!!

Thank you 🙂 the father one wasn’t said to me, but I have unmarried friends who for some reason got that question

21. Yona Williams says:

I don’t understand how people can think a C-Section is an easier option. I personally haven’t had one (or birthed a child at all), but my thinking is that the recovery alone can be difficult to experience.

22. duffelbagspouse says:

Good grief. Someone actually asked you if your babies had the same baby daddy. That’s crazy.I would have just looked at them and walked away. My son is lighter than me, someone asked me if it was really my baby. lol

23. evakidminds says:

I think most people don’t intend to upset you. When they say you look tiny they want to compliment you on not turning into a whale just because you are pregnant. And older generation compliment you on growing big because they believed that pregnant women should eat for two, grow fat and have fat babies.

24. Courteney Noonan says:

Thankfully I never make these comments to pregnant women – I always think they must get sick of hearing the same thing every day. It would annoy me so much if someone was constantly telling me how big my belly is!

25. Lexie @ mommyhomemanager.com says:

Yep, yep, yep, yep!
    There were days that I couldn’t handle people commenting on my body. Even when they told me how small I looked..because I felt huge!
    “You look great” or “you look cute” is ok…anything beyond that you can just keep to yourself!