Simple Cleaning Schedule For Moms

I am not one of those moms who thrives on doing chores. Cleaning the house is not how I envision spending my days. I would always put off the cleaning that I did not want to do, and it ended up building up until I had an all day cleaning affair to tackle. Recently I decided to implement a simple cleaning schedule, and life has been much easier! I don’t have to spend all day cleaning because I focus on a few things a day and everything tends to stay rather tidy!

A simple cleaning schedule that will keep your house spotless with minimal effort

My Simple Cleaning Schedule

In order to keep m,y home spick and span, I started doing two things every week day to maintain cleanliness. By doing this, I never have to stress about a large day filled with cleaning, because I maintain it all week. I know it sounds simple and that’s because it is!

Monday

On Mondays I like to focus on my laundry and dusting. I try to get all of the laundry washed, dried and put away ( a huge accomplishment I know). Dusting really doesn’t take too long. I just go over all surfaces that collect dust with my duster and a little cleaning solution. Once these are done, my Monday cleaning is finished!

Tuesday

Tuesdays are floor days. There is probably still some dust on the ground from Monday, so I sweep, vacuum and mop my whole house. I then focus on the outsides of my cabinets. Kitchen and bathroom cabinets can get grimy so I like to give them a nice wipe down to keep them looking clean.

Wednesday

Wednesdays are probably my least favorite days of my entire simple cleaning schedule. They are bathroom days. After the first week or so it wasn’t that bad, but that first week was not fun. I had not realized all of the little nooks and crannies that get so yucky. Typically I take everything out of the shower and give it a good scrub, and then do the toilets and sinks. I also do all of the mirrors and windows in the house on Wednesdays as well. As much as I hate it, it does feel good having it done.

Thursday

Thursdays aren’t terrible. I typically do some more laundry and then focus my energy on cleaning my refrigerator. First I make sure any expired food is tossed out and anything that is getting close gets pulled to the front to be used. Then I like to wipe down all of the surfaces and then call it a day.

Friday

Fridays are pantry days. Similar to the refrigerator, I make sure nothing is expired and wipe down the surfaces. I like to make sure it looks nice and organized as well. This makes it easy to see what I have and what I need on my shopping list. When that is done I typically give my floors one more once over. With two kids and a dog, the floors never stay clean for long but twice a week seems to be a good number.

Saturday

I try not to do too much on Saturdays because we often are out of the house doing things. The one thing I do try to get done is a little organizing. I will make sure everything has a place that is easily accessible and looking neat.

Sunday

Sundays are my relax days. I like to spend time with my family at home, have a nice meal and just enjoy our time together. I might work on some of the organization but I don’t schedule real cleaning on Sundays.

Daily

In order for this simple cleaning schedule to really work, there are a few things I have to make sure I do every single day.

I like to make my bed every morning. Making my bed makes me feel like my room is just much cleaner than it probably is.

Dishes are also done on a daily basis. I hate when they pile up in the sink, so it is much easier to just do them every night and not have to worry about it.

The third thing I do every day is wipe down counter tops. When I am cooking, I wipe down the kitchen counters and after I am done in the bathroom I wipe down those as well. This keeps me from having any large messes or stains on my counters.

Finally I like to tidy up as my day goes along. If I get a book out to read, I put it back on the shelf when I am done. I am trying to get my daughter into this habbit as well. She now knows to put her toys away when she is done with them before she can play with something else.

Monthly

Then there are the monthly chores that take a little more time but need to be done. I don’t do all of these in one day. It is better if they are spread out over the entire month.

Usually on a laundry day, I will strip all of our bedding and wash that as well. It feels so good having clean sheets!

I will take my trash cans outside and wash them out with some soap and the hose on a monthly basis as well. Those things get so extremely gross! Trash misses the bag or a kid throws something away before a new bag is put in. Cleaning them keeps them from smelling and ensures they look nice.

Then there are the baseboards. I hate cleaning baseboards, but it has to be done. Recently I have enlisted the help of my four year old with this task though and it works out pretty well. Those dang baseboards tend to collect so much dirt that it is unreal! So every month I use my vacuum attachment and vacuum them and then use some cleaning spray and a towel to make sure they are nice and clean.

Extras

These are things that might get done once a month, but aren’t necessary always.

I am in charge of dog baths, and let me tell you it sucks. My dog hates water. You would think she is being murdered every time I give her a bath, but I can’t let her stink and get dirt all over my house. So every month or so she gets her bath and comes out looking so unhappy but so pretty.

I also try to declutter every few months. We somehow accumulate so much junk, it is unreal. I am always finding random things that we have no use for, so I put them in a donation box and take them to our local charity every so often. This really helps keep the house free of clutter, which is what I have been aiming for lately.

Now I want to hear from you. Do you have a simple cleaning schedule? If you do, what all does yours entail?  I am always looking to amp up my routines!

A simple cleaing schedule to keep your house spotless with minimal effort

haha my office looks like that right now! I have all the stuff for my daughter’s birthday, all my stuff for couponing and my blogging stuff…it’s a Mess.

1. Jamie says:

I love the idea of a cleaning schedule but in between homeschooling and life with four I rarely stay on track. I’m pretty good about laundry though!! I’m impressed with your plan and I think I’ll try to see if I can implement some more structure into my own!

Thanks. I try to keep it super simple. I have seen the cleaning schedules where they do like 4-5 things a day an that just isn’t for me lol.

I totally admire people who stick to these smart cleaning routines. I have been semi-motivated to try to do it, but never follow through. I then tell myself I’ll do BOTH days the next day. Welp, that turns into a snowball effect and then here comes Saturday doing it all. Ugh. Gotta try this daily plan out again.

3. Stacey Lynn says:

Wow, I really needed something like this! With the busy schedule I have, I can start the week with the best of intentions, which usually fizzles out well before the week does. With this, I will have an idea of what I really need to get accomplished and still have everything done in the week’s time. Thank you!

4. Janel Berchielli (@JanelB) says:

What a great idea to put yourself on a cleaning schedules. That way you’re not overwhelmed with all the things you need to get done for the week. I hate to clean as well and often put off all cleaning tasks and then I have to hear my husband complain when something like the dishes are dirty in the sink or the house hasn’t been vacuumed this week.

5. Melissa says:

I wish I could be as organized as you. I am a very impulsive person so I clean things as it comes up and is necessary, but yes, things get left out but I could never stick to a schedule like you.

6. Nina says:

What a wonderful way to help you stay on track and not get overwhelmed. I’m going to use this for myself. Thank you so much for sharing the chart, that’s super helpful!

7. Taylor says:

I love this list! I’ve been looking for something like this, just to help me get on a schedule, and I may use your list! Can’t wait to keep my apartment cleaner than it is and not have to do everything on one day a week since that is just overwhelming!

8. Amber says:

This is awesome! I really need to try something like this. I think it would help with the cleaning. I’m a SAHM so most of it is on me.

9. Kit Stanwood says:

I am so guilty of not cleaning lately! but i always keep the kitchen clean! I hate when dishes pile up as well. I run my dishwasher once a week and i’ll hand wash often. I really need to vacumn tho.. Thanks for the reminders! i love your cleaning schedule that you have going on!

I’ve been needing to mop my floors so bad. Lol my steam mop broke and I had to order a part! It’s crazy how fast tile gets dirty

10. Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh says:

First I want to say, I have one of those dogs too. He loathes bath time. Sadly he has to get one every two weeks or sooner because he is allergic to grass. 🙁 Poor guy grunts and groans the entire time. Ha. Ugh, the dreaded cleaning. I am the first to admit that I usually leave it all to do for one day of the week, except laundry, I do stay on top of that for the most part…usually on the day that I waited to clean house I make the whole family help out!

11. PackYourBaguios says:

I love this schedule! I tend to do a different room a day. Like today was our master bedroom/office. I cleaned it from top to bottom, then called it a day. Tomorrow will be the living room and dining room. Wednesday the bathrooms, Then Thursday is the kitchen.

12. Elizabeth Johnson says:

This is a great cleaning schedule. I really need to put something in writing. For the longest time I have cleaned according to when I have free time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I think I would be much more consistent and productive if I had it written down. I am glad I read this. I feel like I have the motivation to get my cleaning under control! 🙂

13. Dawn McAlexander says:

My husband does the majority of the housework around our house. He has a schedule, like you, but it is a little different. He cleans bathrooms on Mondays and again on Thursdays before he goes back to work on Friday.

14. Cait Weingartner says:

I could definitely use my own cleaning schedule. It makes a lot of sense to keep up with the cleaning on a daily basis, rather than put everything off for the weekend, which is what I usually tend to do.

15. Rose Sahetapy says:

Discipline! That’s the word I could describe your formula of cleaning, and that is something I lack. I also divided the day on what to clean, but sometimes I lose the track and just clean randomly and make sure my house clean and tidy.

16. houseofkerrs says:

Great tips! I really need to get on a schedule. The cleaning feels out of control ~From a fellow Mama doesn’t get her bliss from domestic duties!;)

17. Marcie says:

I like that you go through your pantry every week. I feel like we are constantly buying things we already have and forget to replace items that we’ve used. This would be very helpful.

18. workoutwithdi says:

I recently started a cleaning schedule too and it helps such a lot doesn’t it? I’ve found with some daily love, the house takes no time at all to clean on ‘real’ cleaning days!

19. Chloe says:

I need to print this out and put on my fridge! I am so unorganized when it comes to cleaning and then I usually end up focusing on something that I’ve already done!

20. Bethany says:

I agree completely with the weekends being mostly free. I switched my schedule so I don’t grocery shop or have any heavy cleaning to do on the weekend and now we have better quality family time!

21. Rose's Daughter says:

A cleaning schedule is such a good idea. I always end up doing everything on one day and it’s exhausting!

22. fullestmom says:

This is a really good cleaning schedule. I tend to get behind but things go a little smoother when they are planned out. My mom has the quote, “there is always something to do,” and in regards to cleaning, I agree. LOL

23. Stephanie Lee says:

This is an awesome post! I let the house get a little too dirty sometimes… but it’s so tough to prioritize cleaning when I could be doing anything else 🙂 I like that you keep Sundays for relaxing!

Yea if I don’t do a little every day, it will pile up and I won’t want to do it. Sundays are just family day 🙂

This is great. I do so much daily its actually tiring me out. I need to make a schedule and stick to it! Sunday should be for relaxing!

25. evakidminds says:

It’s amazing that you can get away with doing laundry only once a week. I have at least one load every day. So, it seems like I’m always washing something.

26. Lydia says:

I love this idea! You’ve totally got this cleaning schedule down. Doing a few simple chores everyday keeps the house clean and I find it to be easier!

I definitely need a cleaning schedule. I just spend so much time picking up after everyone I feel like I never really get to the cleaning part. Then when I have to it’s a giant overwhelming all day task. And no one should be spending all day cleaning!

28. asseenonjean says:

Its such a good idea to have a cleaning schedule, and I definitely need to follow this myself! Often cleaning can get overwhelming, so its much more managable when broken down into days. Thanks for sharing 🙂

29. amber says:

As a business owner who works part-time in home as well as on location, I find it extremely hard to prioritize my own home. Maybe a schedule pasted to the front of my fridge will help!

Right. I’ve seen so many that do so much a day…I don’t have time for that between a 6 month old, 4 year old and the blog lol not going to spend my,whole day cleaning.

Ha ha the only part I actually enjoy, is floors. I have a steam mop that vacuums and mops at the same time and I think it’s fun lol