Top 5 Self Care Needs For A Busy Mom

I spend the majority of my day changing diapers and taking care of two young children. While my days are filled with fun and laughter, they can also be quite stressful. More times than not, I spend the whole day taking care of tiny little people that I created, yet forget to do anything to take care of myself. I have come to realize that in order to take care of my kids properly, I need to also spend some time on myself. While I don’t get much time, there are a few things that I deem very important in my self care routine. I have compiled my top 5 self care needsΒ that I believe every mom needs.

Everything you need to care for yourself!

Top 5 Self Care Needs

1. Good Skincare

I am an avid believer in using good skin care. There are so many random skin care products in my bathroom that some nights I don’t even know where to start! Taking care of your skin is paramount to making you both look and feel better. Β I know when I take care of my skin, I feel like I can take on the world. My absolute favorite skin care tool is my *Clarisonic Mia 2. It is an amazing brush that really deep cleans my skin. If you want to see more about my nightly skin care routine, check it out here.

Top 5 Self Care Needs- Skincare

2. Good Hygiene

I will be the first to admit that there are days where I throw my hair in a “mom bun” because my heathen children will not allow me to get ready. Every stay at home mom knows the feeling. As soon as that warm water starts flowing from the shower head, the baby starts crying, the oldest needs a snack RIGHT NOW, the dog starts barking. It is important though to make daily hygiene a priority. It is part of my top 5 self care needs because I know when I get out of the shower and finish brushing my teeth, I feel refreshed. My new favorite hygiene product is my adorable pink **Aiyabrush Electric Toothbrush. I have sensitive teeth and this baby has a setting just for that issue, along with other settings for gum care and regular cleaning. It is also rechargeable and waterproof so I don’t have to worry about batteries or electrocuting myself. That being said, make sure you take at least 10 minutes a day to maintain your hygiene, you will thank yourself later!

3. Do Your Makeup

Makeup is not something I wear every day, but on the days that I do I feel amazing. I actually enjoy getting my face all prettied up, even if I am just going to the grocery store. Sometimes it can be nice to primp yourself just so you feel good. Even a little mascara and some concealer will go a long way to changing how you feel about how you look. Now, I am not saying you NEED makeup to be beautiful or confident so don’t get it twisted. What I am saying is that many women, myself included, enjoy makeup and it makes us feel good. We do it for no one other than ourselves and for no reason other than we want to feel extra special. Even if it is a day you aren’t going anywhere get glammed up just because and take some selfies with your kids.

Top 5 Self Care Needs- Makeup

4. Wear Fun Outfit

I know, I know, yoga pants are life, but hear me out. When I spend the day around the house in just my pajamas or my trusty yoga pants, sometimes I feel less motivated. One thing I have been trying to do is to get dressed up a few times a week just because. I love putting together a fun outfit with matching accessories, and rocking it out at the grocery store. A cute outfit has a way of making me feel like Jessi again, as opposed to just mom. I like to get my pieces at *Thredup.com. It is an online consignment store, so I don’t feel bad about buying a few things for myself. So buy yourself a new outfit and rock it out.

Top 5 Self Care Needs- Outfit

5. Read a Good Book

By the end of the night I am beat. I just want to crawl into bed. One thing I have been doing lately though, is taking more time to read. I love getting engulfed in an amazing story. It gives me that time to just not think about any of life’s stresses. Reading allows you to go to a different place without ever leaving your home. You become invested in the characters in a well written novel and hang onto every word. Reading is my release and escape from reality. If reading isn’t your thing, then find something that is. Make time to do one thing that you love at least a few times a week.

Top 5 Self Care Needs- Books

Self care is extremely important, especially for moms. Like I mentioned earlier, we give and give and sometimes we need to do for ourselves. We cannot possibly take care of everyone else if we neglect ourselves in the process. Not that you have seen my top 5 self care needs, I want to hear what your are! Leave me a comment below. I am always looking to try new things.

Self Care. Busy mom. Relaxation. Treat Yourself.

*Notates the use of an affiliate link. If you make a purchase through this link, I will receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.Β

**Notates the product was sent to me for free for purposes of review. All opinions are 100% my own.Β

1. yarravalleylife says:

Great ideas for Mum’s to be. There is nothing like growing a baby, while watching your pre baby body disappear. Make up and making an effort in the morning is the only way to survive the takeover.

Self care is so important. I always try to take at least a few minutes for myself every day to make sure I get what I need πŸ™‚

Being a mom is never easy and it would be great if we gave ourselves more time to relax and just do what we want. These are lovely ideas. I also like wearing make-up from time to time. Makes me feel more confident! There’s nothing like a good book as well with my fave cup of tea.

4. Tammy says:

I work from home so I live in yoga pants and pajamas. I do make sure to shower every day and brush the choppers πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. And I agree reading takes you out your own life and transplants you in the life of the characters. Great read!!

5. Susie Liberatore says:

I love this, and am so glad to hear other moms stories! It is hard sometimes to do hair, make up and get ready. I have to find my balance and strength to do so. Thanks for sharing your post, I love this!

6. Hanka says:

We mommies forget about self care very much. For me the best self care is getting out and having my running session – it helps me to sort my thoughts a “free” my head and by myself for at least half an hour a day πŸ™‚

7. Marcie says:

I’m a fan of wearing fun clothes. I’m also usually in yoga wear all day every day. But, I decided to splurge on some cute nursing tops and it really brightens my day!

8. Krysten says:

I’m always so busy doing things for the kid or doing things for my business I forget myself. I really need to start taking a few moments a day to do things like read, but I can’t bring myself to it.

9. Sarah Prince says:

Part of my personal care routine that I’ve committed to this year is a hot bath once a week. I get my chocolate, my ipad, watch Netflix, and soak for at least half an hour after the kids are in bed. πŸ™‚

10. Mistle says:

I’m not a mom but self care is so important (especially when you have kids). I love my Clarisonic Mia! It does wonders for my skin! Also doing my makeup just makes me feel better altogether.

11. Shann Eva's Blog says:

Love this! After having children, my skin definitely changed, so I have a whole new appreciation for skin care. I also need to try that toothbrush. I have really sensitive teeth, but I’ve never had a toothbrush with a setting like that.

12. Raluca Loteanu says:

This is such a great list! Sometimes I get so busy with my son that I forget to take care of myself and this is not good at all! Thank you for the inspiration, I really needed to read a post like this!

13. Michelle from The Best Home Life says:

This is a great reminder for self care. Mommies need to give themselves time and care.I always love reading a book. That is my favorite way to relax, unwind and be myself. Yoga is another favorite.

14. Tina says:

By my 4th kid in a row, all of the above have gone to the wayside. Except brushing my teeth. Cannot handle yuck mouth! I live in sweats and wear makeup about 5 times a year. I keep thinking I’ll get back to putting time into myself someday…..

15. Rimsha says:

I love this post! I’m not a mom but I think it’s super important to take out some time for yourself no matter how busy you are. These are some great ideas πŸ™‚

16. Carlota says:

I don’t have children but I often find myself in the routing where I don’t take care of myself at all! To me it feels particularly good to put on makeup and to have a good skin care. When I do this I feel like I can take on the world, as you also said!

Carlota | TheWandereuse.com

I totally agree about the makeup. Even if you can only do the mascara, or a red lip – you feel a little more confident about your appearance. Those little things can make a big difference.

18. Rachel @ The Analytical Mommy says:

Great post! I completely agree!! Putting on even a little makeup makes me feel so much better! I have a 9-5 and wear it every day I’m in the office and I can tell you – when I don’t wear it on the weekends, I can feel a difference in my confidence level!

Self care is ever so important not just for mums but for everyone! There’s nothing better than finding a good book & relaxing with it x

Mama I hear you! I have been trying so hard to concentrate on myself lately, and it isn’t easy. I have been trying to take a little time for exercise during the morning when my kids are watching a show, and I have decided to take their rest time as a time for me to sit and read and drink tea – instead of doing one.more.thing that needs to be done around the house. It is hard!

21. Kiwi says:

Im not a mom yet but I am taking notes. I dont wanna lose myself when I become a mom just because I have kids. I still wanna be girly and keep myself up!

I am guilty of not doing most of these things yet I recognize how important they are! It’s so hard to make time for yourself but most definitely important. Penciling in me time now!

23. Ilka Elise says:

Love the list! It’s so important to look after you (and it’s just about the little things! You don’t need a full pamper routine every night)
    Thank’s for sharing. Much love, Ilka x