Becoming A More Organized Mom

I have always struggled with organization. It has never been my strong point, but this year I have vowed to myself to become a more organized mom. Now, I will admit that i am no expert, but I have found a few simple ways to help me become a more organized mom and a more productive person!

Simple life changing tips to becoming a more organized mom

*This post may contain affiliate links*

Be a More Organized and Productive Mom

Write it Down

I am TERRIBLE at remembering things. Typically it is a case of so much to do, so little time. I found that if I don’t write something down right away, I will forget about it. I have started using my new planner to help keep myself on track. This Tools4Wisdom planner has been really great so far. It has pages to chart your long and short term goals as well as the normal planner calendar to keep all of your appointments. I like how large it is as well since I have never been a fan of small planners.

Make a Plan

I know I know, plans don’t always work out, especially when kids are involved, but hear me out. Since I have started trying to make somewhat of a plan for my day, I have been getting much more accomplished. There are those days where the kids aren’t cooperating and my timeline is messed up, and that is okay. What matters is that you make a rough plan and do your best to stick to it. Remember, things won’t always go as planned do be prepared to wing it as well.

Meal Plan

This kind of goes along with making a plan, but I have really been into meal planning lately. It has taken off a lot of the stress of what to cook for dinner. I like to use a magnetic day calendar, like this one, to jot down what I plan on making for each day. Sometimes things come up and it doesn’t always work out but most of the time it works out great.

Unplug

This goes more along with productivity than being organized, but I found that if I spend at least a few hours a day unplugged I get a lot of housework done. I will set a time frame that I won’t even look at my phone and just focus on getting work done. I may come back to 100 messages from social media, but I can make that up when the kids are sleeping. Just put on some music and dance while you clean. The kids will enjoy helping you out too!

Set Goals

I have found that by setting both long and short term goals I am better able to keep on track. Short term goals are my favorite, because they are typically easy to accomplish. I love checking things off my list, even if it is only “do the laundry”.

Set a Cleaning Schedule

Housework is the bane of my existence. I have never been that person who enjoys cleaning my house, it is always just something I have to do. Creating a schedule has helped me be more a more organized mom and keep on top of the chores. Certain days I do certain things, and it makes it not so overwhelming. I will have an entire post coming soon on my cleaning schedule, so look out for that one!

Wake Up Early

I know, I hate it too but it really does work. If I get up before the kids do I find that I get more accomplished. So get up, have your coffee, and start chugging away at the day!

It isn't always easy to be organized and productive, but with a few simple tweaks you will be well on your way to success.

My Tools4Wisdom Planner

This thing is really awesome! For one, it is HUGE. Not everyone would probably like the size, but I love it.

It has a place at the beginning to write down all of your yearly goals!

Every month there is a goal section at the very beginning as well.

And then there is the normal monthly planner portion.

So far I have been doing pretty good at becoming more organized and productive. It takes work and I know it won’t happen over night. Now I want to hear your tips on how you stay organized!

I am loving your tips. As for me, if I don’t write it down – it won’t get done. I am the queen of lists πŸ™‚

2. Laurie says:

These are wonderful suggestions. I find that using my phone doesn’t really help me, maybe because I’m over 40 πŸ™‚ but with a phone, I can’t see what’s coming unless I click on the date. I love paper lists because the act of checking things off as I do them brings me great satisfaction and makes me feel like I accomplished something. I’ll be taking a better look at the links you provided.

3. thisawkwardmom says:

Ugh I’m a disorganized mess! I love your ideas, if I woke earlier I bet it’d make a big difference in my day! Meal planning is always helpful too. I feel like that saves me so much time and money. Thanks for sharing these!

4. Marcie says:

Writing it down is the most important thing! I use my notes section of my computer and iphone for everything and I add reminders to my Google calendar so I’ll always have it with me!

Writing things down is MAJOR for me, even though I am super organized. I even have a pad of paper and pen at my bedside (insomnia….) so when I think of a mil different things I can write them down and get back to bed. Helps…

6. Dawn McAlexander says:

You must have a good planner. I am a bit OCD when it comes to organization. I could not live without a planner. I have to have everything in order. That planner looks nice. I would put it to good use.

7. Shorikka says:

I am such an orginzer that I really do all of those things you have listed. Thats just how my parents raised me and now my daughter is the same way. We always listen to Gospel music when cleaning and than changebit to other musics. My junk draw is even organized lol. But this very well put. Nice job

8. lagianolik says:

Hi! You are such an organize person!! Being a teenager for me is suoer hard to be always on top of everything put I try my best ! πŸ™‚ I use the majority of your methods but in addiction to them I use the 2 minutes rule: if soemthing tooks less than 2 minutes I do it immindiately so is DONE. thank you for sharing. Mirta.

9. planningthemagic says:

This planner must do wonders for you. It has so many sections. We meal plan too, it helps with organization but also not over buying food or groceries we don’t need.

10. logancan says:

My cleaning schedule lasted all of one week. haha I have GOT to figure out a new schedule that will work better for me. I feel like lately, the only way to get any cleaning done is if I stay up really late. These are great tips for getting organized an I definitely needed to read it!

11. Traci says:

Love this post! I don’t even have kids yet and I still find that keeping the house clean for me and my husband is quite a chore. I’ve tried making a cleaning schedule before but never seemed to stick to it. I want to try again this year – I’m encouraged to see that it works well for you! πŸ™‚

12. Meredith from Mommy in Leggings says:

I love these ideas and that planner! I’m constantly trying to find new ways to be organized. When I was in college, I LOVED planners, and it took my a long time to transfer everything from the planner to my phone…I eventually did that because it just helped consolidate since I was typing and writing things down twice. Now (years later lol) all I want is an actual planner!!!

13. Raluca Loteanu says:

This list is really useful for me, I am trying to get more organized and I already see the advantages, so I want to continue organizing all aspects of my life. I still cannot get up really early in the morning, but I hope to do this soon! πŸ™‚

I’m still working on that too. I’ve always been a night owl. I think it stems from when I used to bartend and didn’t get off work until 3am… And now I have the baby who likes to be up late lol

14. Spunky Moms says:

I LOVE all things planner/organization. LOL, of course that doesn’t mean I’m good at it :O I really like your tips—not sure how I can pull off getting up earlier…morning is not a thing here….

15. [email protected] says:

I always mean to do these things because I know my days and weeks go so much better! I don’t know why it’s so hard to stay in top of. And meal planning takes so much timeπŸ˜–πŸ˜–.

16. Ana says:

Organization has never been a strong suit of mine either. That being said I do find that lists really do help me get through each day!

17. Ianthe says:

I love love your tips! They are right on point. I had a Erin Condren planner but then moved to the Happy Planner and now I finally have planner peace (for now). LOL.

I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t list, plan and organize mine and my family’s life.

18. workoutwithdi says:

I’ve used the Tools4Wisdom planner for about 4 years. This year though I switched to a homemade planner. While I loved their planner they switched this year to a 7-9 schedule, and I needed 6am for my early morning clients. Shame because it was perfect before!

19. Frugal Florida Mom says:

I really, really try to be organized. Sometimes it goes better than others. I have been waking up earlier to have some ‘me’ planning or working time before the kids get up. Hard some days, but so worth it.

Wake up early is definitely my way of getting organised – nothing beats the feeling of finishing half of the tasks before 9 am! x

21. ShortsSweetMom says:

These are great tips! I have a hard time being organized. I have a planner but I always forget to use it. I have been trying to wake up earlier and that helps me to get a good head start on my day. Unplugging is a good tip. I really struggle with this but I know that I would benefit from unplugging more often.

22. Angela Ricardo says:

As a military wife who could barely handle her busy schedule I am truly glad I came across your post. Those tips on organizing are so helpful! I am also a fan of taking notes because i also forgot some important things if I didn’t wrote it down.

23. Jessica says:

All of those are great points to start getting more organized. My favorites are meal planning (I find this helps grocery shopping to go smoothly so I am not wondering aimlessly at the store), writing things down (I do this for ideas of what to write about), and waking up early.

I am the world’s most unorganized person. But yet, in my chaos I know where mostly everything is LOL!!! I really need to follow these tips though!

25. toughcookiemommy says:

Setting goals when it comes to organizing is so important. If you don’t pace yourself, you can easily become overwhelmed.

26. Mandy @ A Cupful of Carters says:

I love setting goals, making a plan then building out a list with timeline to stay organized within my days.

27. Nadia says:

I couldn’t vouch more for planning! It’s something that helps me have my life together πŸ™‚ Waking up early is another key thing. Even though, I have to do it anyway to go to work lol. However, it does help to stay on top of things at the weekend, days off & evenings πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing your tips. Those planners & lists are amazing!
    xox Nadia

28. Brittany says:

I need to be more organized this year! My husband and I actually started a family calendar on our phones and it’s been helping a lot!