First Aid Kit for Kids

If your kids are anything like mine, they seem to constantly be getting hurt! My daughter, God love her, is extremely clumsy and has no fear. Just the other day she decided to hit her face on my TV stand while “practicing” sitting on my yoga ball. Now she has a real nice shiner to show for it. Even when we aren’t home it seems like she is constantly doing something crazy that needs mommy medical attention. This is why I don’t go anywhere without my first aid kit in my car. I put together a bag filled with all of the things I need or could need for an accident outside of the house. Typically, I keep one in my car and then one at home in a medicine cabinet.

How to create the best first aid kit for your kids.

*This post contains affiliate links*

First Aid Kit for Kids

A Large Bag

I actually like to use a cosmetics travel bag for my first aid kit. It hold a ton and can be purchased relatively cheap. Something like this will work perfectly. You just need something with compartments to keep your items separated and you are good to go.

Tylenol

I use Tylenol, but you may prefer Motrin. No matter which one you choose, it is always handy to have some form of pain and fever reducer on hand. My son is teething, so I keep infant Tylenol in the bag for him. I usually keep it in a small zip-lock baggie just in case the syringe leaks. That way I don’t get medicine all over anything else.

Benadryl

Now we don’t have a history of bad allergic reactions in my family. Even so, I like to keep children’s Benadryl with me just for an off chance I need it. I personally tend to break out in hives from shrimp (sometimes but not all the time, it’s very strange) so I decided to keep it on hand for me and the kids.

Neosporin

Kids, at least mine, seem to always be getting scratched up by something. I like to have neosporin on hand for all of those such moments. It’s great at making sure there is no infection or anything that will set in and exasperate a cut.

Band-Aids

Like I mentioned before, my daughter is always getting scratches and scrapes, so bandages are a must! She likes the princess ones, but any ones will work just fine. I find it helpful to have a variety of different sizes depending on the size of the boo-boo.

Digital Thermometer

You never know when you are going to be out and about and your child starts to feel under the weather. It is always good to have a little digital thermometer in your first aid kit so you can check for any fever. I use one like this one here. They are rather inexpensive and great to have on hand.

Tweezers

These are for those inopportune moments when your kids gets a splinter on the playground. With a good pair of tweezers, you can get it out right away to avoid further pain or infection.

Pepto-Bismol

There have been many times where I have been out and my daughter gets a sudden attack of the stomach nastiness. Times like these I am glad to have some Pepto on hand to help her little tummy feel better until we can get back to the house.

Saline Solution

You know there are times when your kid gets all stuffy and congested when you are trying to run errands. For those such occasions I keep some saline solution in my bag. Boogie wipes work really great too for little noses. With Boogie wipes you don’t have to worry about trying to use a spray on an angry toddler.

Eye Wash

I have thankfully never had to use this, yet. It lives in my bag just on the off change one of my little monsters gets something in their eye that I need to get out ASAP. You never know with playgrounds, it would be very easy to get sand in the eye.

Vicks

I keep baby Vicks in my first aid kit as well. There is nothing worse than a congested baby. You feel helpless, but this stuff really seems to help!

Gripe Water

My baby has a tendency to be gassy and a little colicky. Having Gripe water on hand can be a God send when we are out and he is having a bit of tummy troubles.

Hand Sanitizer

this one is pretty self explanatory. Kids are messy! for messy hands there is nothing better than some hand sanitizer when you don’t have access to a sink for hand washing.

Burn Spray

I keep a small thing of burn spray in my bag. One time we happened to be out at a friend’s house and my daughter burnt her hand on a grill. This came in handy along with the bandages at that time!

The Bug Bite Thing

I live in Florida, so we have an overabundance of mosquitoes most times of the year. My daughter and I are both bug bite magnets, so when I discovered The Bug Bite Thing I knew I needed it in my life. It is a cool contraption that you place over the bite and you can suction out the venom.* this item was sent to me for free for review purposes but all opinions are my own*

The bug bite thing extracts bug venom from any bite!

Everything a busy mom needs for her first aid kit

Such a detailed and smart list of what you’d need for a little one. That Gripe Water is one I would totally forget about adding, but so important and really can come in handy!

right! Especially with us since I tend to react to shrimp I don’t want the kids to have an all of a sudden reaction and have nothing on hand.

I know they make liquid bandaids, but I have never tried them. I think my sister uses it.. reminds me of glue to seal the cut in a way.

2. Melissa says:

Great idea! A first aid kit is something I don’t think of until I need it and then it is usually missing stuff. I will keep this in mind for my next Target run.

3. Kate says:

My son is constantly getting hurt, I swear he cannot seem to stay still more than 10 seconds. I already have a first aid kit but it never occurred to me to put tweezers in it! Great ideas!

4. Everyday Made Fresh says:

Funny this comes up today! My oldest daughter, she’s 17…well I picked her up from school this afternoon, she gets in the car telling me that she just spent the last period in the office…she apparently ripped her toenail nearly off….they didn’t have one single bandaid in that school! I need to put her together something similar.

5. planningthemagic says:

She sounds like me as a kid haha. Those kids grow up and are ambitious! I will need this kit eventually one day and this is the perfect post to follow.

6. Jacqui Woods says:

I’ll have to check out this bug bite thing, for me…lol We are in GA and the mosquitoes are KILLER during summer. Doesn’t help that I swell up when I get bite. Maybe that would help!

7. Marisa says:

Such great tips. I always forget a few things like the bug spray. It will be a big help to pre pack & have it ready to go.

8. Justine June says:

thank you thank you thank you for this. my accident prone kids and my disorganized self needed this SO BAD. Next, can you do a first aid kit for the car? I feel like a lot of our accidents happen while we’re out of the house too!

9. Dawn McAlexander says:

Mosquitoes love me too. Although they aren’t as bad here in NC in the winter, they sure do bug the heck out of me in summer (pun intended). I could use The Bug Bite Thing about that time of the year.

10. cvnxena says:

This is awesome! I haven’t got a first aid kit but now I am definitely reconsidering now we scooter to school! Better safe than sorry!

I’ve never heard of the burn spray – I am definitely going to pick some of that up! I have to agree that the children’s pepto has helped us out many a time.

This is really so helpful! I find it so stressful not to have the first aid items I need when an accident or sickness occurs!

13. almostindianwife says:

This is great. I’ve run into a lot of situations with my kids where I wish I had things on hand. I finally went out and got myself a first aid kit last week!

14. Jennifer Marx (JenuineMom) says:

Great looking list! We keep all those things around for the whole family too. But poor Kermit! What happened to him?! LOL!

15. Chelsea | New Kid on The Blog says:

THis is great! Thanks for the list! I need to keep one of these in our car because goodness knows we’ll have one at home but my son will fall off the swings at the park.

16. Blythe Alpern says:

I carry many of these items in my purse incase I need them myself. I’ve learned my lesson from being out and needing a band-aid or advil and not having it or anywhere close to buy it.

17. Angela Ricardo says:

As a military wife who could barely handle her busy schedule I am truly glad I came across your post. I can totally relate. Whenever I go out, I’m like a girl scout who always brings her first aid kit especially Vicks!

18. FS page says:

Thats a very handy list. So wise of you to make it and so nice of you to share it. It will be useful for number of parents

19. Mommy Engineering says:

I love this list! It has everything that you will needn’t on combat all those nasty illnesses that are so common for kids! My favorite is vicks! My family has always sworn by it and we love it during the winter months!