Diaper Bag Essentials

As a mom to young children I feel like I need to bring my whole house with me when I leave. For the longest time I was loading myself down with way too much stuff in an overstuffed bag. I had to dig through my bag to find what I needed, and it was just a mess. Finally I discovered that less can be more! You don’t need to take the entire nursery with you when you leave the house and you don’t need a giant out of style diaper bag either. I have come up with my list of essentials that every mother needs to carry in her diaper bag.

What do you really need to pack in your diaper bag?

*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these link, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. The bag was sent to me for free for review purposes. All opinions are 100% my own*

The Bag

Every mom knows the importance of a good diaper bag. We want it to be stylish yet functional. This Laiya Deluxe is an awesome choice. It fits everything I need and it doesn’t look like a frumpy bag lady bag. The best part? It doesn’t even really look like a baby bag. It can easily be used when your baby is older for a large purse, overnight bag, or beach bag! It comes with a long detachable handle so you can wear it on your shoulder should you so desire. It also includes a changing pad! You can get one 50% off here using the code COFFEEMM from now until February 10th. It would make a perfect gift for any expectant mother.

Get 50% Off of this Diaper bag !
Nursing Cover/ Blanket

If you are a nursing mother, you might want to carry a nursing cover with you in your diaper bag. This one is a great affordable option that also doubles as a car seat canopy! You can also use a blanket to serve a similar purpose. Even non-breastfeeding moms should carry a blanket though, just in case your little one gets a little chill.

Pacifier

I know that not all babies take a pacifier. My daughter would not take one at all, but they are still nice to have. Sometimes even my daughter would chew on it, so it did come in handy at times. If you child loves their binkie, throw a few extra in there, because for some reason they always seem to go missing at the exact moment you need one.

Diapers

This one is a given. You will for sure need poop receptacles for your darling angel.I always throw some extra in my diaper bag just to be on the safe side, along with a few plastic bags in case I can’t find a trash can. If you cloth diaper, you will need a wet bag as well.

Wipes

Another given, but a necessity none the less. Trust me, you never want to be caught out in public without wipes. I have learned that one from experience. I usually get a travel pack and just leave it in my diaper bag at all times.

Extra Outfit

More than likely, your baby will have a blowout at least once in his or her life. This is where it is essential to have an extra outfit on hand! Finn and Emma have some adorable outfits that you can keep in your diaper bag for such an occasion. I typically keep one outfit for my baby and one change of clothes for my four year old in my bag at all times.

Diaper Rash Cream

you do not want to be caught out in public with a child with a red bumm and no diaper rash cream. I have been there, done that and it is no fun! Get a tube of whatever brand works for you, I like Desitin, and keep it in your bag at all times.

Snacks

This one is mostly for older children, but snacks are a must! I can’t even tell you how many time I have been out running errands and my daughter is all of a sudden starving to death (yes she is quite the little drama queen). For younger children, I like the Gerber Graduates Puffs. For older children, like my little drama queen, I keep a baggie of goldfish in there just in case.

Teething Toy

If your little one is cutting teeth, there is nothing better than having a teething toy you can grab and give to them when you are out. I keep my Finn + Emma wooden teething toy in my diaper bag every time I leave the house. Another favorite of most people is the Sophie Giraffe. No matter what you choose, a teething toy can be a life saver.

Changing Pad

I cannot count how many times I have needed to change a diaper but there are no changing stations in sight. This is where a changing pad comes in extremely handy. You can lay it out anywhere and set your baby down for a quick change. Most diaper bags, like the Laiya Deluxe, come with one along with your bag so you won’t need to make a separate purchase.

Bottles

If you are a bottle feeding mom, then you will want to bring bottles with you. I always found it easier to pre-make the bottle and keep it in a small insulated bag inside of my diaper bag. That way if there were to be a spill, it won’t get all over everything.

Diaper Bag Honorable Mentions

I feel like these items are great to have but not quite as necessary as the aforementioned ones. If you have room in your bag then great, pack them up and toss them in!

• Tylenol
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Small First Aid Kit
  • Extra Nurisng Pads
  • Bibs

The most important items that you will not want to leave the house without!

Want to see exactly what is in my diaper bag? Then head over to my YouTube channel and see my first ever video!

What are your diaper bag essentials? Let me know in the comments below!

Don’t forget to take advantage of the 50% off sale on the Laiya Deluxe with coupon code COFFEEMM from now until February 10th. You won’t want to miss out on this amazing deal!

1. Jessica Wagner says:

Totally agree!! We are just starting to potty train my two year old and now I have a whole new set of things to add to the bag! Haha, we don’t go anywhere without it! Hope you have a great week love! XOXO

I’m not a mom, but I was laughing at you feeling like you need to take the entire house with you when you leave – because that’s what my mommy friends say! This checklist is an essential for any mom!

• admin says:

With my daughter I felt that way. Now I learned what I really need and what can stay home. Now if it is an overnight trip, that’s the whole house! Lol

3. Paige says:

Totally over packed with no1 but now I have 2 I’m so minimalist!
    Change of clothes, nappies, wipes and that’s it! Defiantly need to add a couple must haves as no2 isn’t as “easy” as no1 was 😂

4. Nicola says:

I actually miss carrying my changing bag around now my kids are bigger. I always felt so organised – there was always a pack of baby wipes or a muslin on hand for spillages and I always had snacks. Now my kids are 6 and 12 I never have these things with me and often still need them!!

5. Jacqui S says:

This is a great list! And not one I’ll forget ever! lol. My daughter may be 16 now, but I can tell you everything I carried in her diaper bag is on your list 🙂

6. Catherine says:

It’s hard to narrow down diaper bag essentials when you’re a first time mom. This is a great list! I loved your video and the fact that you have your daughter fooled thinking the harvest snaps are Cheetos. Parenting win!

7. Debra says:

My kids are older now but they still expect me to have snacks in my bag all the time. HA HA!!! Goes all the way back to having snacks in the diaper bag!

8. Spunky Moms says:

I sure remember those days! My diaper bag was always overstuffed and just…enormous! Especially with our younger two because they were in diapers at the same time. LOL, I still carry a big handbag….

9. mybelleelle says:

I’m not a Mom but I can see why you would need so many things inside of your diaper bag. It’s so important to make sure that you have everything that you need. No wonder they sell such gigantic diaper bags.

10. Brandi with Big Fit Fam says:

I honestly rarely used our changing pad, it was always stuck at the bottom o fmy bag covered in something sticky i didn’t want to deal with, haha. So our blanket doubled as a changing pad. This a great list and one every new mom should read!

11. cvnxena says:

This is really helpful! It’s been a few years since I have had to do one of these and now I will be doing it again soon! bookmarking for later

12. Frugal Florida Mom says:

Good post. I remember trying to pack the whole house every time we went out with my first child. By the second, I was lucky to remember a pacifier and a few diapers. 🙂 And I love your checklist. Looks great!

I remember as soon as I would take something out of the bag, I would need it LOL. This is such a great list for new parents.

14. Casey says:

This is great..you are so organized! I’m that mom that when I get some where I’m like oh geesh I left the wipes at home 🙂

15. Jenni Petrey says:

This is a great list. I’m so glad that we’re past the stage of needing a nappy bag, we know just have to take several changes of clothes 🙂

16. Angela Ricardo says:

As a military wife who could barely handle her busy schedule I am truly glad I came across your helpful post. I honestly feel like people should discuss this topic more often! I love this list!

I always overpacked with my daughter. Now I try to get just what I need. I also try to keep a “car bin” of stuff I keep in my car for emergencies

I used to be the kind of mom who would pack extras of everything. It needs to be that way otherwise I won’t have peace of mind when I leave. I think this post covers everything that you need, a great guide for new parents!

18. Chelsea | New Kid on The Blog says:

Great list! I’m glad the the older my son got, I could gradually make this list smaller and smaller. But pretty soon I’ll need a dedicated diaper bag again when our little girl gets here!

19. Jennifer Marx (JenuineMom) says:

Isn’t it amazing how much STUFF you need when you have a baby? This is a great list for when you have a little one. Thankfully, as your child gets older, you need to bring along less and less!

20. Robin Rue says:

I also felt like I was bringing everything but the crib with me when I would go out with my kids. I had to learn to just bring the necessities. This is a great list!

21. Krystle Cook says:

This is a great list for parents that just don’t know what to bring. It can be overwhelming at times trying to think of what you may need when you are out.

22. almostindianwife says:

I love this list! It’s all right too! The extra clothes was always what I needed more of. I’d grab one and then ended up needing two or I’d forget all together.

23. Natasha Fedderman says:

It’s been about 6 years since I’ve had to carry a diaper bag. But one of the things I always kept in there was a bottle of this Johnson and Johnson baby cologne/splash. Nor even sure f they still make it but it smelled amazing!

24. Mommy Engineering says:

Love this list! I would recommend also a small wet bag or plastic bags because sometimes a trash can is so not available! I actually also put children’s tylenol in the diaper bag because my kids use to spike fevers all the time. It was crazy.